AR Rahman in Oscar award race again for film, ‘Pele: Birth of a Legend’
The Oscar Award or Academy Award is an annual American awards ceremony hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS); to recognize excellence in cinematic achievements in the United States film industry as assessed by the Academy’s voting membership. The various category winners are awarded a copy of a statuette, officially called the Academy Award of Merit; which has become commonly known by its nickname “Oscar.”
AR Rahman in Oscar award race again
Music maestro A.R. Rahman stands a chance to win at the Oscars once again with his work on sports biopic “Pele: Birth of a Legend”. Mr. Rahman, who is already a double Oscar-winner for his work on Slumdog Millionaire in 2009; has found mention in both Best Original Score and Best Original Song long list of 89th Academy Awards. He was lauded for his Best Original Score as also the Best Original Song “Jai ho”; from the same film, with lyrics by Gulzar. AR Rahman will compete with titles like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, La La Land, Moana and lorence Foster Jenkins.
Also, “Ginga”, his acclaimed number from the 2016 biographical film is in the Oscar race too. It is part of the long list of 91 songs, which are competing for a spot in the final nominations for the Original Song category. The long lists of both the categories were released by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on its official website on Tuesday.
Final nominations for the 89th Academy Awards will be announced on January 24; ahead of the presentation ceremony, which will take place on February 26 at the Dolby Theater at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood.
In 2014, Rahman’s work in Hollywood movies like “Million Dollar Arm”; “The Hundred-Foot Journey” and Indian film “Kochadaiiyaan” was also among the contenders.
Not only that, in 2011; Rahman had received two nominations for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards for his original score in Boyle’s “127 Hours”; as well as original song “If I Rise” for the same movie. However, he did not bring the golden statuette home.
Nominations for the Oscars will be announced; on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 with the main ceremony scheduled for Sunday, February 26, 2017.
Interesting Facts about OSCAR:
- YOUNGEST AWARD WINNER: Tatum O’Neal won Best Supporting Actress for Paper Moon (1973) when she was only 10 years old.
- OLDEST AWARD WINNER: At the age of 82, Christopher Plummer became the oldest person to win an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting role for the film Beginners (2010).
- After winning an award for Best Actress for Cabaret (1972); Liza Minnelli became the only Oscar recipient whose parents were Oscar winners too. Her mother, Judy Garland; received an honorary award in 1939 and her father, Vincente Minnelli, won Best Director for Gigi (1958).
- The winners of the very first Academy Awards, which took place on May 16, 1929 and honored films released from 1927 to 1928; were announced three months before the ceremony.
- With 12 Oscar nominations, Jack Nicholson is the most nominated male actor.
- Three of the most successful films in Oscar history are Ben-Hur (1959), Titanic (1997), and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003); with each winning 11 Oscars.
- Heath Ledger and Peter Finch are the only actors to be awarded an Academy Award posthumously; for The Dark Knight (2008) and Network (1976).